Last Updated on
Get more stuff like this
Sign up with BETSOL to get the latest tech trends, industry best-practices, and benchmarks.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
When technology leaders think IoT (Internet of Things), health care isn’t usually the first industry that comes to mind. However, there are very interesting developments underway in the health space for IoT.
“The global Internet of Things (IoT) healthcare market is estimated to grow from USD 32.4 Billion in 2015 to USD 163.2 Billion by 2020.” –Markets and Markets
If you want to dive into the 3 specific application areas and 6 growth drivers for IoT in healthcare, check out our IoT in Healthcare Business Trends for 2016 post.
If you want to kick back and absorb some of the best videos covering this topic, check out the 5 great ones we’ve curated below.
1. Mobile Medicine – The Internet of Things Meets Health
This 3.5-minute video is perhaps the best business value analysis of how IoT impacts Healthcare. The Internet of Things is changing the way our health care system works. Projected to be around a 30 billion dollar industry…from nothing.
This video discusses three key areas:
- The connection between doctors, patients, and devices through the use of our smart monitoring. This means patients can be monitored any time, anywhere in the world.
- Telemedicine, which allows for remote diagnosis and care.
- Behavior modification, which offers instruction and real-life feedback to tackle ongoing and life treatment.
While all of these are exciting, there are many challenges ahead. Watch the video for more.
2. What Healthcare will Look Like in 2020 – Tedx Talks
Stephen Klasko is the President and CEO of Thomas Jefferson University and Hospital. This is the longest video in the list, at 20.5 minutes, but the quality is excellent, and these are neat insights from someone deep in the healthcare system, not the technology end. It gives a better insight into the challenges of the industry and its patient–challenges we technologists can solve.
3. Healthcare – The Internet of Things and Big Data
Clocking in at just under 4 minutes, this video offers a very imaginative look at healthcare and the Internet of Things. This video outlines the steps that we need to take to make these ideas a reality, with a future view of delivering data to every player in the health response ecosystem, resulting in better outcomes for patients.
Healthcare is full of silos, and IoT is here to bring everything together via IoT and Big Data.
4. Internet of Things Impact on Healthcare
In this 4.5 minute video, Dr Ricardo Matrinez provides an insider’s view on how the internet of things will change the way we, as a culture, perceive healthcare. He provides view into how the goal should be to provide actionable, timely insights into patients to really drive a new wave of healthcare–proactive, preventative care. With Big Data, in particular, we will be able to determine if someone will have an issue prior to them showing symptoms.
He also discusses what it will take, from a consumer’s perspective, to adopt IoT and the the privacy concerns that come along with it.
5. Healthcare and IoT – IoT Solutions World Congress
Alright, this video is the biggie. If you want to virtually join a 43-minute IoT Solutions World Congress conference, this is the video. This is a deep dive with experts from across the spectrum of players in IoT and Healthcare.
- Ajay Bakshi – Manipal Health Enterprises Pvt Ltd
- Gabriele Ricci – Shire Pharmaceuticals
- Adam Darkins – Medtronic
- Moderator: Glenn Snyder
It is estimated IoT will single-handily slash healthcare costs by 25% by 2020. It will also reduce errors and improve quality of life. This video goes into how this will come out, how the infrastructure comes into place, and the massive potential to make healthcare more efficient (by the way, they state healthcare is the 2nd-least innovative industry when it comes to operational efficiency).
IoT for Healthcare is a fascinating area and one that will drive significant revenues for the various players in the value chain. If you’re interested in more on general IoT, check out more of our recent posts here:
- The Top 3 Home IoT Opportunities in 2016
- The Top 3 IoT Devices in Aviation Right Now
- The IoT Remote Connectivity Feature Hot List
- Stop Using a VPN to Connect to Your Products
- How to Make Remote Connectivity Scalable from Day 1